/*Power Programming Point: Not only programmers but Power Programmers Power Programming Point

Not only programmers but Power Programmers

I started this blog to help people that work in big companies. I have been working in mainframe environment for ten years, playing different roles. I also developed a small Project Management system using Microsoft Office and VBA for couple of years.

Here, I am more focused on soft skills, those characteristics that differentiate highly skilled IT developers. Later, I will focus on technical skills but, for now, I will explore important traits for people who work for companies and have to deal with co-workers, managers, business analysts, end-users, shareholders and others.

To begin with, I am trying to define a new kind of programmer: the power programmer. Power programmers are developers, or programmers, who are more than code-writers. They are more similar to analyst-programmers, people who understand the system where they work, as well as, the business rules.

I have worked for insurance companies most of my life and I can tell you that the most successful professionals are those highly skilled programmers, some are even average, who understand the system, business and the company culture.

If you want to move forward in your career and be well regarded in your workplace, you must focus on your soft skills along with your technical ones. You have to show interest in your work and constantly ask yourself: “how can I become a better asset to my employer?”

I will discuss what you can do to improve your chances of success inside your company.

Power Programming Point

No comments: